Thursday 5 August 2010

Value for money....

So, I've been trying to come up with a 5 year 'master plan' to finally get to move to Finland. I'd had all these ideas of doing up the place we already have, which would mean then having to get water piped to the house, a bathroom built, re insulating the roof, paying 5,000euro to get the house registered as 'omakotitalo' status and so on....

However, after doing some searching - perhaps this is not necessary? Here are my thoughts so far: If I can reduce my mortgage in 5 years and then sell my UK place, I could have a potential large profit. During those 5 years, the work would continue on the farmhouse and we could make enough to buy somewhere that is already 'omakotitalo' and have enough left to live on without having to work or claim any assistance. This is a dream, obviously. Why do I think this is do-able? Look at this....

This house comes with around 20,000m2 of land. Isn't it beautiful? The balcony alone makes me think of breakfast in summer looking out over the land and forests. This is one of things I love about the houses there. All different colours and shapes as I think I mentioned in my previous post.








Here is the kitchen. Already a sink with running water. Super looking wood cladding and simple units. Enough room for a dining table, although I think I would rotate it 90 degrees, to offer more room.










Here's the floor plan. You can see how it flows and how much space there is. There's also the bedrooms upstairs and several outbuildings.















So how is this achievable? How much would you pay for a property like this in the UK with around 2 hectares of land? Half a million? More? This property is still within the region of our farmhouse. We like it there. Granted, houses closer to Helsinki are much more expensive, but I think you'll agree that this one is a beauty. Price? 99,000euro (about £87,000). What's that? Yes, you DID read that correctly. 99,000euro. Ridiculous isn't it? You couldn't buy a studio flat over here in the South West for that. Of course, in 5 years this will have sold, sadly. But on further investigation there are plenty of these over in Finland for under 100,000euro. One I found was right by a lake and was even cheaper! But I just think this one is gorgeous.

Fingers crossed. You never know........

No comments:

Post a Comment