Sunday 24 October 2010

The procedure of purchase

Previously, I said I'd go through what happened with the purchase of the house. It was quite a while ago now, so the memory is a little rusty - I'll do what I can if you can stay with me.

We had already sent a deposit to the agent via the bank, which arrived safely. When our remortgage money came through, we had to wire the balance over in the same way and this happened about a week before we were about to leave. There was some frantic communication between the agent and myself as it seemed the money had gone missing! Eek! I reconfirmed the IBAN and SWIFT numbers we had sent them to, and the agent investigated his end. Disaster...there was a number wrong. It turned out the money was sitting in a 'holding' account with our bank as it had nowehere to go (thanks for letting me know Lloyds TSB :/). We managed to get it sorted with a promise from the bank that it would be sent that very day. Phew. Crisis averted.

After spending the usual wonderful first weekend with our friends in Uusimaa, and loaded the car up with Ikea essentials; we were really excited to take the drive to Mikelli to meet the agent and sign the paperwork. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the agent, with a handshake and a hug! So much for 'cold' Finns! He provided us with coffee and said we were waiting for the sellers and the local notary. I tried not to look puzzled....the sellers were coming? This would be interesting.....

The farmer and his wife (ee-i-addi-o) arrived and we shook hands. Neither spoke any English (and nor should they) as the agent made the introductions. There was much nodding and smiling so much my teeth dried up. Then the notary arrived. It was explained that this was the person who would handle all the legalities of the paperwork; overseeing our signatures, checking ID on both sides - passports for us and ID cards for the sellers. The agents quickly translated the paperwork and everything was soon completed with payment to the notary being made also. The notary appeared a bit fierce to begin with, until after the deal was made; and then he warmed up a little, asking us whereabouts in the UK we came from and what that area was like. After he left, the agent informed us that the notary was somewhat fascinated with England - maybe he was a little wary of us instead!

Our agent (oh, I'm going to use his name now - Arto) accompanied us to the electricity company to help us set things up for billing, and took Dom to the land registry department where he was given a map of our fishing rights in the area - we have loads! Dom told me that Arto seemed to have a lot of swing in the area, virtually commanding the registry office to hand over the map to Dom! It transpired that he is also the pastor of the church in Mikelli. An estate agent with a religious belief! No wonder he was so wonderfully helpful We certainly could not have had such a smooth process if it hadn't been for him. After that, we each got into our cars and he offered to lead the way to the house. I had the sat nav, so said I'd be alright and off we went.

I still remember that feeling as we drove up to our new 'holiday' abode. It was a LOT bigger than I'd anticipated. I swore and turned to Dom saying, 'What have we done?' Arto unlocked the door and ushered us in, giving us a guided tour and showing us how things worked, before shooting off and leaving us alone.

You can see from the picture, left, how huge the house looked next to our little hire car! I spent the first week constructing furniture and arranging everything to my satisfaction. We did get a chap in to put our television ariel up - again through Arto, as the chap spoke no English!

Please don't think that we expect everyone to talk to us in our native tongue - it's just our Finnish is extremely poor and the call for Finnish language lessons in deepest, darkest Devon is not a large one, as you might imagine. Most of the time we do quite well with the odd Finnish word and plenty of mime.

But as you can gather, no waiting six weeks for solicitors to 'do their stuff', just a plain and straightforward transaction. Just like that (as Tommy Cooper used to say). I can only speak from our own experience. Also, I have heard that valuing over there is different too. I understand that it's not estate agents who value the property, people ask what they need for their houses. Sounds cool to me.

What shall I write about next? Maybe show you the area which we are attached to? Yes, that sounds like a plan, Stan.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, Jo. It's actually really interesting and I'm enjoying reading about the plans. Your new house is beeeeaaauuutiful, and what an area.

    Promise we'll make it out to see you one day? We can bring the baby / not bring the baby*

    Love to you and Dom

    Dave

    *delete as applicable.

    ReplyDelete